The mind is one of the powerful parts of our being. It is with the mind that we are able to make decisions and act on the decisions. A focused and committed mind is a powerful tool that can acquire great achievements. The state of the mind is a major contributor to the outcomes and outlooks one may have in life. Mental therapists and psychologists understand the need for a person to have a healthy state of mind in order to live life in the best way possible.
As I reflect on the mind, it also points me in the direction of how our minds affect our spirituality and being as persons. In Proverbs 23:7a, it states that as a man thinks so is he. This means the state of the mind determines who a person is. The mind reveals the true self of a person. The mind by itself does not form what it thinks or decides on it own, rather it is what has been fed to the mind that produces the thoughts that the mind generates. In Romans 12:2, Paul says that we should be transformed by the renewing of our mind that we may be able to test and approve what is God’s will.” It was important for Paul to point this out as the old and corrupt mindset of the people had to be refilled with godly things that they may be able to live in God’s righteousness and holiness.
Beloved of Christ to be able to continually live in accordance to God’s will and for God’s glory, our minds must always be tuned into God. Our minds wander, one could daydream, zone out, unfocused, become relaxed or even rigid in the way one thinks. Simply put, the mind can sway in any way we choose to let the mind be. But as believers, we know that the mind impacts our faith life. How our minds function will determine the fruits we bear in our Christian life. A mind that is tuned into God, focuses on the will of God that determines the actions he or she takes to live for God.
To tune into God requires discipline and self-determination. Beloved, it is inevitable that one could just let go and allow the mind to just wander and indulge for fun. Relaxing, daydreaming and the like allows us one to rest which is a good thing but it is important that we commit to keeping our minds on God whenever we are alert in our daily living. To stay tuned to God helps you to be attentive to what God is doing and telling you to do. A mind that is tuned to God is able to perceive what God says when he or she prays and goes on to obey God.
Some of the ways I have found helpful to keep my mind tuned into God.
- Adopted from Benny Hinn, Say Goodmorning to the Holy Spirit every morning once you wake up. This helps you to acknowledge God’s presence with you and allows you to open your spirit to experience God in your life
- Pray always. Pray about everything and for everything. Let praying be a lifestyle. The more you pray, the more you build your faith in God because you trust God with everything. A praying person is one who is absolutely dependent on God.
- Meditate on scripture. Speak to the Holy Spirit about Scripture, research and learn more to understand the scripture. Encourage yourself with Scripture, let it inspire you, teach you and equip you
- Commit your heart and minds to obey God’s commands. Love God and love others. For every time you demonstrate love for others, God comes to your mind.
- Talk about God with others. You cannot talk about God without thinking about God. As you commit to the above, your mind will be filled with the things of God, you will be so filled so much that out of the overflow you just tell people about God. You share His love, His grace, His miracles, His goodness and all that God is to others that they may come to know God as well.
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. – Philippians 4:8
We are God’s sheep and God is our shepherd. We rely on the Shepherd to lead, guard and provide for us without the shepherd we will go astray and become a prey for the enemy. Sheep whose eyes and ears are set on the shepherd never misses out on the shepherd. The sheep hear the voice of the Shepherd and follow. In the green pastures where there is abundance and we enjoy the provision of the Shepherd, let us not forget to keep our hearts and minds attentive on God for there is a journey ahead to continue. At the still waters when our souls are being restored, let us continue to keep our minds on our good Shepherd who leads us on.
The busyness of life, the demands, the chaos, the struggles, the temptations, disasters, hardships, comforts and just any possible thing that one can face in life can take our attention off God. But remember to tune right back in when you realized that you have tuned out. Tune back in to God for God is our Hope and the faithful one. God is always speaking to teach, help and lead us onto the path of righteousness but we miss out when we tune out.
In the morning, when God wakes you up, acknowledge God and stay your mind on Him as a sheep that follows the shepherd.